3 Ways Your Attorney Can Help You If You're Considering Dissolving Your Marriage Because Of Abuse

Posted on: 11 January 2023

Some issues that crop up in marriage require immediate attention or even a divorce within the shortest time possible. Domestic abuse, for example, needs immediate measures to prevent the abuser from hurting their spouse or kids. In addition, if the abused victim wants to dissolve their marriage, they need legal assistance to fast-track the process. This can enable them to get out of the abusive marriage quickly. You can also hire an attorney to help you seek protection and dissolve your marriage if your partner is abusive. They will take the following measures to help you. 

They Will Help You to Seek Protection Orders

Your legal advisor will start by helping you to seek protection orders to prevent your partner from hurting you. They will do this by filing a case to seek the court's protection. If the application is successful, the court will prevent your partner from stalking, threatening, or abusing you physically or mentally. In addition, if your partner goes against this agreement, your lawyer may request the court to impose tougher measures to enhance your security. This will ensure that you and your kids are safe throughout the divorce process.

They Will Take Measures to Hasten Your Divorce

Some marriage dissolution processes take a long time to finalize, which increases stress for the divorcing couples and their kids. This is especially the case when one partner is abusive. When this happens, the abuse victims and their kids undergo a lot of mental torture and stress while they wait for the court to dissolve the marriage. So, if you're going through such a situation, it is best to hire a lawyer to assist you through the divorce process. This is because they will take measures to hasten the process so that you can separate from your partner as soon as possible.

They Will Help You Deal With Custody Issues

When you and your spouse decide to dissolve your marriage, you must create a parenting plan that will enable you to co-parent after separation. In most cases; this process can be easy if you and your partner are on good terms. However, in case of abuse, it is unlikely that you will want to sit down with your partner to discuss children's issues. In such a situation, your lawyer will negotiate with your partner's legal team to agree on the time they will spend with your kids. They will then draft an agreement that your lawyer will present in court for approval.

If your partner abuses you or your kids, contact a divorce lawyer to help you stop this heinous act. First, they will take legal action to stop the abuse. They will then assist you in seeking a divorce to enable you to get out of your abusive relationship.

Contact a local divorce lawyer to learn more.